Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Invitations With Improvised Wax Seals (a little adventure in the invitation world)


Intriguing title, right?
Before anything I'd like to send special thanks to Cezar from Pergame
for revealing me one of his techniques when I needed a helping hand.

Here goes the full story:
Since I can't say no to anyone challenging me to do something new, I couldn't refuse Andrei when he asked me if I could make this invitation (he sent me the photo of a chocolate brown invitation with a wax monogram seal).

Obviously there was nothing creative about this job. I had the perfect cardstock in mind and I even knew how to make a custom sealing coin. However, since it wasn't even my on design, I decided to outsource part of the work and contacted a local invitation company specializing in handmade paper and wax seal invitations to help with the golden wax seals.  Their answer was Yes, we can make the seals for X amount of money, but we only in green or red.
Sorry, but I need gold seals.

Next step, I searched the internet, found a nice company selling wax at reasonable pricing. I haven't even given a second thought and placed an order for enough wax to make 200 invitations.

Here I am 2 months later, 2 weeks before my deadline, cards ready yet no wax to seal them. Too late to order from another place so plan B was in order. Except there was no plan B. I usually get all packages from the States within 2 weeks.

I don't know how I thought to call Cezar, of course asking if he could make my golden wax seals. He didn't actually make them, but he gave me an excellent idea to make some fake ones which I did with the help of 2 other industry friends. Thanks, Cezar, you really saved me.


The faux wax seals technique is not mine to share but I can tell you I got the package 2 months later after it had been open and kindly checked by all kinds of customs.

The best part of this story is that my faux wax seals have come out far better than the ones I get with the real stuff and whenever I show someone the two options, without even mentioning they are not the same thing, they will prefer the faux.


4 comments:

Bev Gerard said...

***smiling over your story***
Truly there are times when we least expect it ... but something turns up even better than we had expected. I'm so glad this worked out so well for you and for your client! Beautiful work, as always!

~Bev

Meda said...

Thanks, Bev, you are too sweet!

Anonymous said...

Great story. The most amazing thing about you is that you inspire others to do more by your own example.
I loved so much the idea of making your own wax that I even found a tutorial over the net :).

Meda said...

Haha! How come I didn't think of that?
Thanks for the appreciation.